When we think of St. Patrick’s Day, cookies are not usually the first thing that jumps to mind. But why leave all the fun to the winter holidays? This year, try a simple, sweet treat that looks and tastes like your favorite March holiday.
You will need:
1 pouch sugar cookie mix (Betty Crocker’s works great!)
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Green food coloring Green sugar crystals
1. Prepare cookie mix according to package directions (you’re saving time to decorate later!)
2. Stir in peppermint extract—one teaspoon is enough to give you that trademark minty flavor, but feel free to add up to one more half teaspoon if you just can’t get enough.
3. Add a few drops of green food coloring till you get a desirable shade of green.
4. Bake away! Betty Crocker’s cookies cook for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
5. Take out the cookies and immediately sprinkle on some green sugar crystals. Let them cool off and enjoy! For an extra sweet treat… You can add 1 cup of crème de menthe (minty-flavored) baking chips and 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips. Try serving your cookies as sandwiches with chocolate ice cream in between for that classic mint-chocolate indulgence.